Register today for either the Intensive Track Certificate program or Individual Courses held throughout the year.
A business plan is a critical component to oper...
Time: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Ashby Award Information
B.R. Ashby, M.D Award for Outstanding Community Service
The DRF Board of Directors established the B. R. Ashby, M. D. Award for Outstanding Community Service in recognition and appreciation of the exemplary service and selfless leadership of B.R. Ashby, M.D., a founding Board Member and first Chairman of DRF. The $50,000 general operating grant award - which began in 2009 - honors outstanding community service in the Dan River Region by nonprofit organizations, based on their success in helping needy families and individuals overcome significant challenges.
Each year, the general public is invited to nominate regional nonprofits that demonstrate commitment to caring and generosity of spirit. The nominator cannot be a paid staff member at the organization under review. Board members, volunteers, and community members are eligible to make nominations.
Nominated organizations that meet the award criteria will be invited to submit a full application. Eligibility requirements include:
- The nominated organization must be at least five years old.
- The nominated organization must be recognized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as a 501 (c)(3) organization. This can include churches and religious organizations as defined by IRS Publication 1828.
- The organization must be located in the DRF service area (Danville and Pittsylvania County, VA and Caswell County, NC) and a majority of its clients and/or programs must be located in the service area.
- Grantees currently funded or having a commitment to receive funding by DRF at $200,000 + annually are not eligible.
- Previous Ashby Award recipients are not eligible to receive the award again until after five years.
The award is overseen by an Advisory Committee of four community members and a DRF Board representative. The actual award is presented by the DRF Board of Directors and announced at an annual event sponsored by DRF.
Past winners are:
- Caswell Family Medical Center - 2017
- Danville Cancer Association - 2016
- God′s Storehouse - 2015
- Northern Pittsylvania County Food Center, Inc. - 2014
- Danville Life Saving Crew – 2013
- God′s Pit Crew – 2012
- Danville Church-Based Tutorial Program – 2011
- Caswell Parish, Inc. – 2010
Questions? Contact Starling McKenzie at 799-2176 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.