Nominations Open for 2023 Ashby Award
August 1, 2022
Nominations of area nonprofits are now being accepted at DRF for the next B. R. Ashby, M.D. Award for Outstanding Community Service.
This award, in the amount of $50,000, is a general operating grant named in appreciation of the exemplary service and selfless leadership of B. R. Ashby, M. D., a founding Board Member and first Chairman of the DRF.
The award honors outstanding community service in the region by a nonprofit organization based on success in helping needy families and individuals overcome significant challenges.
Past recipients include Caswell Parish (2022), Grace & Main Fellowship/Third Chance Ministries (2021), Just Kids Child Development Center (2020), Danville Speech & Hearing Center (2019), Pittsylvania County Community Action (2018), Caswell Family Medical Center (2017), Danville Cancer Association (2016), God’s Storehouse (2015), Northern Pittsylvania County Food Center (2014), Danville Life Saving and First Aid Crew (2013), God’s Pit Crew (2012), Danville Church-Based Tutorial Program (2011) and Caswell Parish (2010).
Nominated nonprofit organizations must be located within the DRF service area - City of Danville and Pittsylvania County, VA and Caswell County, NC. The award will be presented in January at a special event.
Anyone in the community can nominate an organization they feel has demonstrated a commitment to caring, generosity of spirit, and improving the quality of life for residents in the region.
The deadline for nominations is end of day Friday, September 9,2022.
Nominations can be made online at www.drfonline.org. Nominated organizations that meet the eligibility requirements will be contacted at a later date and asked to submit a full application.
Eligibility requirements include:
- The nominated organization must be at least five years old.
- The nominated organization must be recognized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as a 501 (c)(3) organization. This can include churches and religious organizations as defined by IRS Publication 1828.
- The organization must be located in the DRF service area (Danville and Pittsylvania County, VA and Caswell County, NC) and a majority of its clients and/or programs must be located in the service area.
- Grantees currently funded or having a commitment to receive funding by DRF at $200,000 + annually are not eligible.
- Previous Ashby Award recipients are not eligible to receive the award again until after five years.